Complex Shapes

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:23 AM
Hello,

What is the best way to go from simple shapes to more complex ones? Right now I have buildings that look like this:

Basically just cubes with signs. Is the next step just playing with more shapes? How could I make something more complex like an actual house or building?
Jan 10, 2014 at 6:04 AM
Hi riotgrrrl,

You have to create sheets, then clear then and draw on them like a regular canvas element. That's the way to create more complex shapes (like triangles).
Coordinator
Jan 10, 2014 at 6:56 AM
Yes, you always need to compound your objects from sheets. To create sheets of arbitrary shapes simply leave some pixels on the sheets' canvas transparent. As RohanDeshpande suggested, clear the canvas and then draw anything you want, like a triangle or a circle. One note: only fully transparent pixels are supported fully in sheetengine, so currently there is no way to use semi-transparent colors.
Jan 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Edited Jan 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Thank you Rohan and dobsonl for your input. I've managed to make a triangular prism with your advice. I suppose I was more wondering if there was a recommended process for developing complex structures but it seems like it's just a matter of getting more familiar with beginPath(), moveTo(), and lineTo() to draw shapes and then positioning them appropriately.

I'm going to try making a building in SketchUp and then remaking it with Sheet Engine.

Another question I have is how can I make things not look blurry in Sheet Engine? With 8-bit or low-res games they often look crisp even though their graphics style is from a past era. I have difficulty achieving such crispness in Sheet Engine.

PS. building is coming along nicely :)
Jan 15, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Cool stuff riotgrrrl!

Yeah I've also had a problem with blurry textures however if you're just using sheets I don't think they should be blurry. Try setting them at integer coordinates rather than floats.